I am currently a PhD student in the Department of Sociology at the University of Notre Dame. Most of my interest fall into the subfield of economic sociology, but this includes also cultural sociology, organizational behavior, network analysis, and cognitive social science. My projects gravitate toward three epicenters: (1) coordination problems, (2) distribution problems, and (3) cognitive grounding.
With the first, I define coordination problems as falling into three “levels of order”: cognition, collocation, and cooperation, and explore the cross-cultural variation in the various solutions to such coordination problems. With the second, I begin with the model that there is perfect spatial, temporal, and social distribution of all finite resources, and then move backward to explain deviations from this model. Finally, I try to “ground” all my explanations in the assumption that cognition is “embodied.”
Previously, I attended Montana State University’s sociology program and was an AmeriCorps member for 2 years in Bozeman, Montana. I then served in the US Peace Corps in the Republic of Azerbaijan. I recently finished my Master’s in Sociology, the sequence in Community and Economic Development, at Illinois State’s Stevenson Center for Community and Economic Development . (Which, has continued to rank in the top 10 in the nation for the past few years among Peace Corps Master’s International programs.) I rounded off my experience abroad working in the banking industry in Japan and traveling throughout Asia. More importantly, I fall madly in love with each new place I step.
Below is a breakdown of my research interests (in order of reverse pyramid):
- Relational, Figurational and Network Sociology
- Institutional and Organizational Sociology
- Development and Economic Sociology
- Global and Comparative Sociology
- Cultural Sociology and Cognition
- Morality and Religion
- You can connect with me on LinkedIn or have a look at my CV in PDF: Dustin Stoltz’s Curriculum Vitae
- I’m not entirely sure of their utility, but I do have profiles on the various academic social networking platforms: Academia.edu and Researchgate.net, and I am also a “Mendeley Advisor”. You can check out my mostly bare-bones Google Scholar page, or Follow @dustinstoltz
- I’ve tried to be pro-active and acquire an ORCiD: 0000-0002-4774-0765, as well as a ResearcherID: B-1827-2014.
- I am also a member of the Relational Studies in Sociology Network, as well as a member of the Figurational Research Network of the Norbert Elias Foundation.